About Me

Loving life (and trying to remember it) with these three boys.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Colorado Summer 2011


So after the triathlon, we came back, loaded up, showered, and got on the road.  We planned to drive just four or five hours, then stop at a hotel and swim, get a good night's sleep, then get to Colorado Sunday afternoon.  Apparently Iowa and Nebraska are hot summer destinations, because there was not a hotel room to be found.  Seriously, it was crazy.  We have never had that problem before, so it was quite strange.  So, we drove all night.  Yep, crazy, but it worked out great for the kids.  They did awesome.  We rolled into Northglenn around 4 am, caught a couple more hours of sleep, and then had a relaxing Sunday.  The kids were absolutely thrilled to be with Grandma and Poppy, and Aunt Sue made the drive up that day.  Dar and I both got good naps in the afternoon, and were well-rested for the Gooseberry-eating competition pictured below.  I was merely a photographer for the event, because I don't actually like Gooseberries, but the crazies below were eating them by the handfuls.  I believe 18 was the required number of gooseberries to ingest for this particular contest.




The other popular activity for the week was stair sliding.  Because we have hardwood stairs, Grandma and Grandpa's carpeted steps allow for great adventure!


Although I didn't manage to get any pictures (probably because the rules are scary about having cameras or phones out at all), Dar, Abe and I went to the Denver Mint early Saturday morning.  We've learned a lot about money this year, so it was a cool field trip to go on.  It is a very interesting -- and short -- tour.  Then we had breakfast at REI, and had a leisurely time looking around.  



It was a great morning!  We got home in time for lunch, and I spent the rest of the day holed up in Bernie's office working on my online class.  It was so fabulous to have uninterrupted time to work on it, and I got a ton done (even though I am back to behind again.....).

Wednesday morning we all piled in the car and took of for the Sand Dunes.  It's about a four-hour drive, but it was an impressive sight to see.  We got there in the hottest part of the day, so it was hot, hot, hot sand and pretty tiring to walk through, but we did have lots of fun sliding down some of the dunes.

Look how small Grandpa looks carrying Jack!

Don't know what we would have done without the backpack.



Abe had the best time!

Jack slid down on my lap, but was not in a playful mood.

Aunt Sue got lots of quality nephew time on this trip!


Jack was so happy to finally get a turn in the backpack!

Enjoying a beverage at the Dunes.


I can't believe I didn't get a picture of it, but Don got us a crazy hotel room -- three king sized beds in one room!  It was a great concept, and would have been fun for everyone if poor Jack hadn't been up quite a bit of the night with a fever.  He was miserable, and one big room means not much sleep for anyone.  Amazingly, everyone was chipper in the morning (except Jack), and we ventured back to Northglenn.


We were excited to finally meet Doug's girlfriend, Mallory.  Dar and Doug have been friends forever, and I am forever trying to think of a lucky friend of mine to set up with him.  He is an amazing guy, and just finished medical school!  Looks to me like he is probably permanently unavailable though, because he seems quite smitten with Mallory, a resident in the same program.  She's great, and she gives it right back to Doug, which I thoroughly enjoy.


The other favorite activity for the week...... piano playing, and lots of it.

Wouldn't you listen to him play anything??

All three pianists working on their music.

That's what I call "Sweet Music."
And then there was more stair sliding....


This picture pretty much captures what life is like at our house.
And then, the pool.  It was a warm week, and the boys thought being outside playing in the water was great.  Jack even managed to belly flop in this little pool.  Charley got in on a few days, but on this particular day he was concerned with repeatedly fishing Abe's shoe out.  It kept him entertained for quite some time!

Don't worry.... I got it!




Where did that shoe go?
The boys got lots of time with Aunt Sue, which we all loved.  Can you tell how much fun they had?


I took Jack's swim diaper off as we were getting ready to leave Saturday, but before I could get him dressed, he had found himself a seat.  This picture is hilarious!

Where we headed?

Time to hit the road...
On our way "out of town," we stopped to hear Dar's friend Rich and his band play for a couple of hours.  They were awesome!  Can't wait to get our hands on some of their music.  Dar even "dedicated" a song to me (code for Rich thought of it....).  "I Want to Grow Old With You."  It was great.  This guy is amazingly talented, and we were so happy to get to see him for a bit.


Time to go.... it's always hard to leave!

1 comment:

the mathisons said...

loved reading about your trip. It is fun to see pictures and imagine exactly where you are because the surroundings are familiar :) I kept looking for some trampoline shots... knowing that Abe can do flips on one!!!