
I can't remember my first phone call from a boy. I don't know how old I was, or even who called, but I am 100% positive that I read too much into that phone call. In fact, I have probably been reading too much into boys' phone calls my entire life. And although I have been pretty sure about that for quite some time, it wasn't until this afternoon that I knew for sure. It took witnessing my son's first phone call to a girl to realize that there really is a gender difference.
Abe and I had been talking about preschool -- wait, let me rephrase: I had been asking Abe questions about school, to which he grudgingly gives me very short answers. He had green frosting all around his mouth, so I knew that he had to have eaten some cupcakes, to which I then assumed it was someone's birthday. I was correct. They had cupcakes, sang a birthday song. But Abe couldn't remember whose birthday it was. I even got the class picture out to jar his memory, but nothing worked. I tried to narrow it down to being a girl's birthday, since there were flowers on the cupcakes, to which I was told that boys can have flower cupcakes too (which I totally agree with and was happy to hear Abe say). Nevertheless, I was no closer to knowing whose birthday it was. Now you might wonder why I needed to know so badly, and all I can say is that after a while, it becomes a matter of principle to get some type of information out of Abe. Today, this was it.
After lunch, Abe told me he wanted to call Sophia. I tried to discourage him, but he was pretty determined. So I gave in and looked up the number for him. I was thinking this was pretty sweet, if not a little early. So this is how the one-sided conversation went, at least from my perspective:
Abe: May I please speak to Sophia?
Abe: Hi Sophia. (pause) Good. Whose birthday was it today at school? (pause) Madison? Ok. (he starts to hang up the phone)
Me: Abe! At least say thank you and bye!
Abe: Thank you Sophia. Have a good weekend. I love you. Bye.
Sophia is probably still thinking about this phone call, and Abe was just interested in getting Mommy off his case about whose birthday it was. Ah, boys. Too bad we couldn't have this insight a little earlier in life.
3 comments:
He must get his smarts from his aunt kelli! :)
I love that kid!
It is so true that it starts early. Abe has always seemed like a little man trapped in a boy's body, but this really shows he is. Too cute!
Okay...now we Hardys are getting VERY offended...first his first dinner date, and now his first phone call to a girl? Abe has had plenty of dinner dates AND phone calls with Isabelle. She's SO taken for granted. We may cancel the engagement soon....Sherry
Post a Comment