About Me

Loving life (and trying to remember it) with these three boys.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mother's Day






This year for Mother's Day, we loaded up the car and headed over to the Mississippi River. We always ventured over to the river when I was younger. We would either pack a lunch or get Kentucky Fried Chicken, eat by the river, and look for driftwood and cool rocks. It has been years since I've been there (probably since Dar and I were dating and went while my parents were still married). I couldn't believe how awesome it felt to see my kids doing the same things I did as a kid (except for hunting snakes -- I never did that). My siblings love to tell the story of me looking for rocks to throw into the river and picking up hot charcoal by mistake. Or running through the nearby cemetery hopping on the nuns' gravestones. I will never live those stories down!

Mom went with us, and thankfully, the boys did great in the car. It is about 2 1/2 hours, so we left mid morning, had KFC by the river, played for a couple hours and then headed home. Everyone had a blast and decided we definitely need to go back. Dar and Abe spent a considerable amount of time harassing a water snake, and Jack loved throwing rocks in (I'll keep a close eye to make sure hot charcoal isn't in his future. Abe made me an awesome card and Dar got me the "C" I needed for my mother's necklace. We finished off the day by stopping to visit with Aunt Dpris, Aunt Bekah, and Grace for a while. It was a perfect day.

No comments: