About Me

Loving life (and trying to remember it) with these three boys.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Long Week

Well, it's finally Friday night.  Thank goodness.  It's been a long week.  Everybody's been a little sick this week (some of us more than others).  The fevers for Jack and Charley started Monday night, and while my Mom has no problem staying with them while they are sick, I had to stay home from work Tuesday because Mom has ecoli.  Yep.  She's been absolutely miserable, but does seem much better finally today.  I took Charley to the doctor Tuesday to make sure he didn't have an ear infection, and after an hour and a half of waiting (with all three boys), he was given the all-clear.  Just a virus.  Just for fun, while we were waiting I decided Abe and Jack should go ahead and get their flu shots.  OH MY.  You've heard the term "paralyzed with fear?"  I saw it... in Abe.  Jack even went first and didn't make a peep.  Not a whimper.  But Abe was completely terrified.  I felt so bad for him.  So anyway, Charley has continued to run fevers, spiking 104 on Wednesday night.  Dar was planning to take Thursday off since I had taken Tuesday, and thank goodness, because I woke up feeling miserable on Thursday.  So all of us were home (3/5 of us sick).  Tonight at about 4, Charley developed a rash on top of the fever, so I took him to Peds After Hours (thank goodness for that place) and found out he does indeed have his first ear infection.  So, he is finally in bed with his first dose of antibiotics and Jack and I are curled up reading stories and blogging (he's rather unimpressed with blogging, except that he does like to push the CAPS lock key frequently to see the light come on).  He seems to be feeling much perkier today.  I woke up with a horrible headache still this morning, but it has faded throughout the day and I think I am well on the road to recovery.

Dar and Abe are at Tiger Scouts movie night.... Abe was excited to wear his pajamas and take his pillow and blanket.  He was pretty disappointed that I wouldn't be attending because they are getting their Pinewood Derby supplies tonight, but I didn't think the little guys could handle a 7-10 movie night.  I wonder how much longer my absence will disappoint Abe?   I probably ought to be embracing being wanted still.  Before I know it, he'll be wanting me to wait in the car.

Abe finished his first session of gymnastics this week, and has decided he'd like to do another session.  It's about eight first grade boys, so I admire the teacher's patience.  There's a lot of energy in that group.  Abe really has fun, and it's great to see him burn off some energy.  Jack would really like to get out there and show them how it's done, but maybe in the spring.

Abe has also been doing really well in school.  We just finished reading "Twenty and Ten," which is a great book about children during World War II.  He and I both really enjoyed reading it, and when we were discussing it this afternoon, I asked him who the U.S. was fighting in the war, and he responded "The Naughties."  Close enough, right?

He has also enjoyed copywork this week, because instead of random sentences from his reading, he has gotten to work on copying items he wants out of the Christmas catalog.  I had to laugh as I was flipping through the catalog this evening to see what he had circled, because the two that I saw were a Hannukah candle set and a firehouse that he already owns!  That boy......

Anyway, here's to a healthy weekend ahead, and a week of normalcy to come.

1 comment:

the mathisons said...

You are a great mom Lish! cold weather = colds! Yuk! Hope everyone has a speedy recovery :)