| What a Big Boy! |
My Jack is 2..... how is it with children that it feels like time flies, that he was just a baby, and yet I feel I've known him forever. Hard to believe that it's been two years since my water broke as we were getting ready to leave for church. I delivered Jack at 11:30 that night, and our lives have never been the same.
Jack,
You have added such joy to our lives.....it's why my nickname for you is Sunshine. You really are the light of our lives. One smile from you can lift anyone out of a grumpy mood. I've seen it happen in the grocery store when you grin and offer your classic Jack wave at an old guy looking at yogurt. I could see in his face that you made his day. I can feel it in my heart when I am having a tough day, and I go to pick you up out of your crib at naptime, and you smile like you were just waiting for me. I love that Grandma Connie told me Papa Ronnie had dimples, and now I see him in you when you smile.
I love how you love your brothers. How you both idolize Abe and are learning to hold your own ground. I love that you like Abe to take care of you, either by reading you a story, or helping you with your shoes, or getting you an icy pop. The other day I saw you hold onto the Toy Story figures you were playing with when Abe wanted them. All too often, you get tricked into switching, and I felt a burst of pride for you in standing up for yourself. I'm sure I'll get frustrated with that soon enough, but for now it delights me.
I love that even though you had to give up "baby" status before you were even 2 years old, you have taken it in stride and never shown an ounce of malice or jealousy towards Charley. I hope you can feel how he just watches you and can't wait to play with you. You and Abe can bring smiles out in Charley whenever you want to. You have the blessed place to be both a big and a little brother. You're fantastic at both.
I also love that you love so easily and openly. From the very beginning, Grandma and I have said that you are a good judge of character. You just seem to be able to tell if someone is a good person, and if they are, you reward them with a quick smile. It hurts my heart that you've been struggling when we drop you off at Sunday School, but you are always so happy when we pick you up. I know it is important for you to learn your independence and to trust that we'll always come back for you, but I'd keep you every time. I am pretty sure that's why Daddy kicked me off of drop-off duty.
I love how you dance, and how you sing while playing the guitar (or the broom, if that's what's handy), I love to watch you draw "bridges." I love to watch you get so excited to see a "mow" or a "mer." I love your kisses and your hugs, to see you kiss your brothers, how you have always insisted that Daddy lean you down so you can kiss Charley on the head before you go to bed. I love how you jump, and that you are so rough and tumble that a four-year age difference doesn't matter when you and Abe wrestle. I absolutely love your love of books, even when we have to read the same story five times in a sitting. I pray that you continue that love of reading.
Your optimism and love of life shows through every day Jack -- I think you've got a lot of your Daddy's qualities along those lines, and I am so grateful for your sunshine. You are a brave little boy who spent the summer getting dirty, mowing the grass, jumping off the diving board, and ziplining. I am looking forward to the next year, and getting to know even more of who God has made you to be. I love your personality, and am excited to hear the words start flowing.
Here are some of my favorite Jack sayings:
-- Choc Milk
-- milkshake (the sign for milk, and then shaking your fist)
-- Mama
--Daeee (Daddy)
--Gama
--Papa
--Aaaa (sometimes a b at the end) (Abe)
--Charyee
-- Me. Draw. Bridges.
--Jump
--Wawa (water)
--Yun (run)
--One more time
--One more jump
--Mine
--Pease
--Daeee. Jump. Wawa? (when you want to watch video of the three of you jumping off the diving board)
--Bu and Wee (Buzz and Woody, which refers to any of the Toy Story characters)
And my most recent favorites are "Jack" and "Two." You gave up your pacifier this month, after Daddy "broke" them all, and I am hoping potty training is around the corner!
Happy birthday baby. We are so happy that you loved your lawnmower birthday cake and spending the day with Grandma and Poppy. You are an awesome little guy, and Mommy and Daddy love you so much.
![]() |
| Donuts and Choc Milk for Breakfast |
![]() |
| Loving Your Chunky Monkey |
![]() |
| Waiting for Presents |
![]() |
| "Mow" Cake! |
![]() |
| Treasure Box Present from Abe |
![]() |
| "Bu" and "Weee" |







No comments:
Post a Comment