Last night was one of those nights when I just felt so grateful for Abe's heart. I always love this boy and am proud of the person he is and is becoming, but sometimes the days get long and I question everything I am doing (this is especially true on long homeschooling days when I feel like we battle all day long). Last night though, I got home from getting groceries and was heading in with my second armful when I saw Abe pulling on his coat and boots to come out and help me. Without being asked. I seriously almost cried. I pray often that my boys will follow in their father's footsteps and become the kind of man he is. And this is just exactly something he would do. And then.... I mentioned to Abe that it was our neighbor Jim's birthday and he made him the nicest card! Not a big deal for a kid who often sits down to do crafty/handwriting-involved stuff, but it is sometimes like pulling teeth to get Abe to make a card for anyone. So the fact that he put effort in and did so willingly was a very welcome blessing. I love this boy!
On a side note, I had the coolest thing happen while I was at the store. I was about halfway through my list when God put on my heart to call our neighbor Jim to see if he needed anything. I've only done that once before in our 8 years of being neighbors, so it isn't a common thing (though maybe it should be). So I called, chatted for a minute and got his request, and then he mentioned that it was his birthday. I am a big birthday person. I love to remember them, acknowledge them, and generally make a big deal about them. And I never would have known it was his if God hadn't nudged me.
No comments:
Post a Comment