Dar and I have been hearing a lot lately about how much "junk" gets thrown at you when you are trying to grow closer to God. Well, let me just tell you -- we are on our first day of a 21-day fast, and some junk is being thrown.
Dar had a crazy busy day at work today and headed home to change before getting on the road for his 5-hour drive to Ohio. Abe and I finished school, and the boys and I were just sitting down to dinner. I went to go get myself a glass of water and I noticed Dar's wallet and Cat badge sitting on the counter. Oops. He had been on the road for about 2 1/2 hours by then, so I called him, and we planned to drive towards each other and meet. So, I rallied the boys, got diapers changed and Charley in his pajamas, loaded everyone up with their blankets, stuffed animals and "Ice Age," and we finally backed out of the driveway. We've gotten probably about four inches of snow today, so it was slow going anyway, but I thought the Pilot felt a little funny. I got about 2/10 of a mile away from our house (downhill, conveniently) when I realized it wasn't the snow, but a flat tire that was making the Pilot drive funny. Oops. I talked to Dar, and we decided I should just turn around and try to limp the Pilot home so I could get the boys back inside. I was worried about doing damage to the rim, but thought we could surely make it back up the hill. Nope.
Fortunately, a very nice couple came out and directed me into their apartment driveway, our wonderful neighbor drove over to help and let me load up the kids in his car while he tried to figure out what to do with the Pilot. If I had a camera on my phone, I would have a terrific picture of Abe holding a screaming Charley in the backseat, and Jack looking wide-eyed that he was riding back home without a carseat. Since I don't, you'll just have to use your imagination.
I carried everyone back in (no one was dressed appropriately for trekking through the snow -- oops), and then realized I had lost our neighbor's car key. He came running up about then and was able to find it in the four inches of snow. Oops.
Dar is now back home and off to meet the tow truck. And the toilet just overflowed. But I'm still smiling. Bring it on. I can think of so many things to be grateful for..... that we were only going 10 mph on the flat, that such nice people came out in the cold weather to help, that I did bring coats for the boys (I SERIOUSLY considered letting them leave them at home because I had no intentions of getting them out of the car -- Praise God that he nudged me that no coats was a DUMB idea), that Charley is finally asleep, that Dar is home safely, and that I have a wonderfully supportive and understanding husband who doesn't get angry or frustrated when these things happen, that God is awesome and always provides.
P.S. As we were leaving, I promised the boys milkshakes for the trip back home. When we pulled up in our neighbor's car, Jack said "MommY, where milk shake?" Gotta appreciate that kid's priorities.
2 comments:
Oh friend, I'm glad you have such a good attitude about it all. It can only get better from here, right???
I am so glad that you all are safe. Days like that deserve to be recorded in history! Wish we could have been there to help, but so happy that another great neighbor came to the rescue :)
Post a Comment